Teaching beginning origami - with focus on design / artistry

Teaching children
bethjohnson

Teaching beginning origami - with focus on design / artistry

Post by bethjohnson » Sun Feb 16, 2014 5:26 pm

I am developing some origami courses for a local art center, which wants to emphasize design and artistic expression as a primary focus. Classes are offered for kids age 6 to adult, and I can chose which age group I'd like to teach. The classes will be "beginner" level, and can run 6, 8 or 10 weeks long.

Does anyone have any good resources or tips for how to approach this? I have given it a great deal of thought and have a few of my own ideas, but would love to hear from others who might have already "been there, done that."

A few initial thoughts on how to approach this....

1. Learning and then modifying simple models - is this realistic for beginners?

2. Wetfolding - also, realistic for beginners? I am thinking along the lines of giang dinh's style, but simpler, which can allow for a great deal of artistic expression.

3. Abstract wetfolding -more sculptural than folding, but that's okay...

4. At the very least fold and unfold models and discuss what what is happening with the creases....

Thanks!!

Beth Johnson

Nick
Site Admin

Re: Teaching beginning origami - with focus on design / arti

Post by Nick » Sat Mar 22, 2014 4:59 pm

> 1. Learning and then modifying simple models - is this realistic for beginners?

I suspect not, unless it was a matter of adjusting an angle here and there. I find the decoration of origami allows the folder to feel they have "ownership" of the model.

>2. Wetfolding - also, realistic for beginners?

I'd say definately not.

>3. Abstract wetfolding -more sculptural than folding, but that's okay...

Adults appreciate the abstract I suspect younger people less so

>4. At the very least fold and unfold models and discuss what what is happening with the creases....

I tend to ask students to do this for steps that exemplify certain techniques, but not for all.

malachi

Re: Teaching beginning origami - with focus on design / arti

Post by malachi » Wed May 14, 2014 8:22 pm

Nick wrote:> >3. Abstract wetfolding -more sculptural than folding, but that's okay...

Adults appreciate the abstract I suspect younger people less so
I find this interesting because my experience with representational models is the opposite. Children can "see" what the model is without much difficulty, but adults sometimes have trouble and are often not impressed by the more abstract and less detailed representational models. This is one of the reasons I find teaching children easier than teaching novice adults, the children have fewer expectations.